Bucatini all' Amatraciana
* 1 pound plum tomatoes, or 40 cherry tomatoes, or 1 1/2 cups
chopped, drained, canned plum tomatoes
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 1 onion finely chopped (1 cup)
* 2 cups finely diced Italian pancetta or bacon
* 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* 1 cup dry white wine or dry Vermouth
* 1 pound bucatini pasta or spaghetti
* 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
* 2 tablespoons grated Pecorino cheese
* More freshly grated Parmesan cheese for serving.
you are using fresh tomatoes, slice them in half and with your
hands press out the seeds and liquid through a sieve set over
a small bowl. Chop the flesh into 1/2-inch pieces. Press the
seeds and liquid through the strainer to retrieve the tomato
juices and reserve them for later.
a 4-quart saucepan, heat the oil. When hot, add the onion and
cook for 5 minutes or until golden. Add the pancetta or bacon
and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the crushed red pepper and
white wine and boil, over high heat, until half the liquid remains.
Add the tomatoes and reserved juices and simmer for 15 minutes
over low heat or until the oil separates from the tomato juice.
Season lightly with salt and add more crushed red pepper if
the sauce is cooking, bring a gallon of salted water to a boil.
Add the bucatini pasta and cook for 10 minutes or until "al
dente" (cooked through but still firm to the tooth). Right
before draining, remove 1/4 cup of cooking water and reserve.
the bucatini and immediately add it to the sauce pot, off the
heat, toss it with the sauce and the reserved cooking water.
Add the cheeses and toss thoroughly. Adjust the seasoning and
serve immediately with more cheese on the side.